A quick trip to the hospital and a week of bed rest followed by a weekend of hauling rocks in the front yard have combined to keep me away from the computer.
Look at the beautiful DIY gabions The Dude and I made in the front yard! I thinking I carried about 500 kg of limestone from the courtyard to the front yard. It was my job to put the stone in against the mesh so that it looked nice (The Dude is more of a chuck it in any old way kind of guy). Basically it was the same as doing six jigsaws with no picture and more pieces than necessary. But the effect is lovely.
Now I just need to get the garden planted, which means cashing in the housewarming present from my lovely brother and sister-in-law, who offered to do a bit of the garden for us. Aren't they lovely! If you are like the gabions and would like to do make some yourselves, they are quite easy, though a bit of work.
DIY Gabion Tutorial
First, cut out some welded grid mesh (ours was 100mm x 100mm) to the size that you need (a reason for The Dude to buy an angle grinder, any excuse to buy a power tool!), wire the grids together to make boxes (obviously leaving the lids off), put in some wire cross bracing to stop bowing (we put ours near the bottom, nearer the top would have been better to make it easier to fit the lid), put your rock in and then put the lid on. If you are going to use the gabions as a retaining wall then you should wrap the sides that are going to be in contact with soil (back and bottom in our case) with geofabric to stop weeds coming through and stopping salts leaching up while letting water drain through . We got our gabions as kits from here but the shipping to Perth from Sydney was a bit of a killer so we will make any more that we might need (I'm thinking of a very smart letterbox) from scratch.
The rock is very local limestone, as it was the rock that was dug up and saved when we were building the house (our house is literally built onto stone). That saved us a few dollars and made me feel warm and fuzzy for not wasting resources!
I have been plowing through the knitting in the evenings. I finished the retro throw for my friend Wendy who has moved into her new home. Being invited to a housewarming afternoon tea sure helps get the knitting needles flying!
this one and the yard is Moda Vera Pure Wool from Spotlight in (unsurprisingly) pink, another pink and a soft lime green. I've added an additional 10 stitches at cast on just to make the pattern a bit bigger and I'm judging how far to knit down before I split the sleeves from the body by trying the jumper on Princess as opposed to achieving a certain number of stitches but it's basically this pattern. There is a nice eyelet detail made by doing yarn over increases and I think this pattern could easily be adapted for larger sizes, just change the cast on number of stitches and the number of rounds before splitting the body and sleeves.
I'll post some pics when it's done.
Have a lovely week every way - enjoy the Jubilee celebrations if you are in the Old Country! x